24 August 2013

Reliving My Childhood!

Ah, fairy cakes. Good ol' fairy cakes. Aren't they the stuff that childhood memories are made of? I remember every time I visited my nanna & grandad there was always a fresh batch of yummy fairy cakes waiting for me. I was an incredibly picky child and insisted on eating them plain (no icing, no buttercream, nothing haha). Thankfully I've moved on from those days and I'm open to new weird and wonderful recipes.
It's not just kids that get to have all the fun though: adults can indulge in some fairy cake goodness too! Whether they're kept plain or baked with more extravagant toppings I'm sure there will be something to tickle your taste buds. They're so simple to make and it's really fun to add something a little different into the mix. I particularly like the sound of 'baileys & chocolate', 'cola cupcakes', 'chocolate & peppermint', and 'cosmopolitan cocktail' (these look extremely delicious).

Today though, I present you with good old fashioned fairy cakes.



After dabbling around with a few different recipes I think I've finally found the best mix. My grandad (who likes to think he is a cake making pro) tried and tested these and I got a thumbs up from him. Something that does not come easily ;). They are tasty and light and "not as heavy as the last batch" (grandads compliments come in funny ways).

Fairy Cake Recipe (makes 12)

So to make these yummy cakes all you'll need is:
  • 100g softened butter
  • 100g self raising flour
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • Vanilla essence (not essential but I like to add a few drops into the mix!)
Set the oven to 180C (170C for fan ovens). 
Mix together the softened butter and caster sugar.
Sift the self raising flour into the mix and add the eggs. Whisk until creamy and smooth.
If you want to add in some vanilla essence now is the time to do so (I put a cap full in).
Spoon mix into the cake cases (about 2/3).
Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. I always like to check that they are fully cooked by poking a slim skewer into the centre. If it comes out clean then they're cooked. 




All that's left to do now is decorate! What you'd like to do is up to you: icing, butter cream the possibilities are endless. I decided to ice mine and throw on a few chocolate sprinkles (for good measure!).  




4 comments:

  1. I love baking cakes, these look so cute and have made me really hungry now! I love the sound of cocktail cupcakes too but haven't yet tried them :)

    http://laurenslittleblogs.blogspot.co.uk/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know don't the cocktail ones sound & look delicious! Definitely gonna have a bash at them! x

      Delete
  2. These look soo good :') I've nominateed you for the Liebster award! All the details etc. are on my blog so you can go and check them out and I hope you join in the tag xxx (zoesque.blogspot.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks girly! I'll definitely take part :) I'll let you know when I've posted it! Thank you very much x

      Delete